‘Lifeblood flooding out of village’- Mick Murtagh

June 4, 2021

first_imgWhatsApp Email Facebook NewsLocal News‘Lifeblood flooding out of village’- Mick MurtaghBy admin – January 12, 2012 621 “Young people who want to build homes and raise families in the place they grew up in will not be able to do it anymore,” said Mick Murtagh, chairman of the local community group.“It will drain the lifeblood out of the village of Montpellier if the young people can’t make their lives here. And the maddening thing is that most of Montpellier never floods,” he told the Limerick PostThe county council will have to take account of the report as the minister has made an order that they should, and it affects which areas can be zoned for development. Any area considered to be at risk of flooding cannot be zoned as land where homes or businesses can be built.Mr Murtagh said that the local development committee has put a huge amount of work into developing facilities in the twin villages of Montpellier and O’Briensbridge.‘We often say that the river is our lifeline as regards tourism and we have put a lot of work into developing facilities here. But if the village has no future then that’s a real kick in the teeth to those efforts. It’s nuts to penalise the village of Montpellier now for something that may or may not happen in the next thousand years”. Linkedin Print PRECAUTIONS in relation to the kind of severe flooding which is only likely to happen every thousand years are draining the lifeblood out of a Limerick village, is has been claimed.In the wake of the floods which saw Limerick families having to be evacuated from their homes,Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up the local authorities have been told they must take account of the findings of a flood risk assessment report, which pinpoints which areas are likely to flood in the future.But the report deals with worst case scenarios, including the one-thousand year flood event which is likely to result from global warming.Montpellier, on the banks of the Shannon, is singled out as one of the areas which would be at risk in the event of such a flood but this effectively means a ban on any development in the village. Twitter Advertisement Previous articleTune of €20 million to prepare to prepare ‘Opera’ siteNext articlePhonsie Clifford is all set for Great Limerick Run adminlast_img read more

Ormond hoping for winning start to 2016

September 16, 2020

first_imgVictory over Naas at New Ormond would see the Tipp club climb to sixth place in the table.Ormond won 10-7 in the reverse fixture at Forenaughts, thanks in no small part to a fine display by scrum-half Mike Fogarty.The match gets underway at 2.30pm.last_img

HEALTH MINISTER IS FULLY COMMITTED TO CANCER SERVICES IN DONEGAL – McHUGH

December 22, 2019

first_imgMinister Joe McHugh has welcomed Health Minister Leo Varadkar’s commitment to cancer services in Co Donegal.Deputy McHugh said that not only will the current cancer services remain at Letterkenny General Hospital, but that the Minister is committed to strengthening the services.“Although Minister Varadkar has admitted there are unique challenges in attracting doctors to Letterkenny for a number of different reasons, the services being provided at present will not be downgraded and the Minister is fully committed to improving the cancer care unit at the hospital for the benefit of the people of Donegal. “As a follow up to the meeting I organised earlier this year which was attended by Senior members of the Saolta University Hospital Group, HSE, NCCP, Dept of Health as well as a number of Donegal cancer community groups and Oireachtas members, we have arranged for a follow up meeting to take place next month to discuss what progress is being made on the commitments given at that meeting.“Both the Minister and the HSE have outlined their continued commitment to the services at the hospital but there are still concerns from those within the Unit and those who avail of the services and we need to ensure that any commitment given is followed through with action and. The improvement of health care services at Letterkenny General Hospital will continue to be a priority and the health and wellbeing of people in Donegal should be at the forefront of all decisions made. “HEALTH MINISTER IS FULLY COMMITTED TO CANCER SERVICES IN DONEGAL – McHUGH was last modified: July 27th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cancer servicesdonegalMinister Joe McHughMinister Leo Varadkarlast_img read more

Coyotes 3, Sharks 2: Takeaways from another gut-punch loss in December

December 20, 2019

first_imgSAN JOSE — On the day that Bob Boughner was introduced as the Sharks’ interim coach, general manager Doug Wilson was asked if this was simply a season in which his team had to take a step back.After all, teams such as the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and even the Chicago Blackhawks, all recent former Western Conference powers, are now in the process of regrouping or rebuilding. Why are the Sharks immune?“I don’t think you have to take a step back,” Wilson said Dec. 12. “We have the …last_img read more

Japan shakes off slow start, grounds Thailand to top Pool F

November 30, 2019

first_imgPhoto from asianvolleyball.netBIÑAN, Laguna—Japan shrugged off a first set setback to trip Thailand in four sets, 22-25, 25-20, 25-22, 26-24, in the qualification stage of the AVC Asian Senior Women’s Volleyball Championship Monday at Alonte Sports Arena.The Japanese are now atop Pool F with a 3-0 record while Thailand is at close second with a 2-1 mark.ADVERTISEMENT WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Moksri Chatchu-on led Thailand with 20 points while Kongyot Ajcharaporn added 19. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:09Palace: Duterte to attend Asean Summit in Bangkok but with ‘spacing’01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games ROS roster shakeup ‘hard to accept at first,’ admits Belga Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Sarina Koga waxed hot for Japan and put up a game-high 26 points while Risa Shinnabe and Mai Okumura added 16 and 12 points, respectively.It was a tale of offense and defense for the two teams as Japan owned the attacking department with a 66-55 advantage in scoring spikes.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThailand, though, had Japan’s number in the defensive end scoring 17 blocks while the Japanese managed to score on just eight.The Thais awarded 18 free points to Japan, but none bigger than their last two that happened in the final sequence of the match that awarded Japan the victory. Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chiefcenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension MOST READ View comments Man sworn in as lawyer by judge who sentenced him to prison as a teen 20 years ago Flags of SEA Games countries raised at Athletes Village Read Next LATEST STORIESlast_img read more

Pak must honour its anti-terror commitments: Obama

November 28, 2019

first_imgPresident Barack Obama has said US will continue to work with Pakistan to root out the “cancer” of violent extremism, making it clear that he will “never tolerate” any safe haven harbouring those who aim to “kill Americans”.”We will work with the Pakistani government to root out the cancer of violent extremism, and we will insist that it keep its commitments,” Obama said in a televised speech on troop withdrawal plans from Afghanistan.Referring to Pakistan, he said, “No country is more endangered by the presence of violent extremists,” adding that Washington will continue to press Islamabad to expand its participation in securing a more peaceful future for the war-torn region.”For there should be no doubt that so long as I am President, the United States will never tolerate a safe-haven for those who aim to kill us: they cannot elude us, nor escape the justice they deserve,” Obama said.Before his speech on the troops drawdown from Afghanistan late on Wednesday night, Obama and his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari, in a telephonic conversation, had agreed to take “appropriate steps” to repair relations between the two countries, which were affected by last month’s covert American raid that killed Osama bin Laden.Al-Qaeda under ‘enormous strain’: ObamaUS President Barack Obama has said the information seized during the raid that killed Osama bin Laden showed the al-Qaeda terror network had “weakened” and was under “enormous strain.””The information that we recovered from bin Laden’s compound shows al-Qaeda under enormous strain,” Obama said in a televised speech on troop withdrawal plans from Afghanistan.advertisementA “weakened” al-Qaeda’s information is confirmed from the huge cache of material recovered from the Abbottabad-safe house of bin Laden, he said.”Bin Laden expressed concern that al-Qaeda has been unable to effectively replace senior terrorists that have been killed, and that al-Qaeda has failed in its effort to portray America as a nation at war with Islam, thereby draining more widespread support,” he said.Al-Qaeda remains dangerous, Obama said, and US must be vigilant against attacks.”But we have put al-Qaeda on a path to defeat, and US will not relent until the job is done. In Afghanistan, we’ve inflicted serious losses on the Taliban and taken a number of its strongholds. Along with our surge, our allies also increased their commitments, which helped stabilise more of the country,” he said.The US President said Afghan Security Forces had grown by over 100,000 troops, and in some province and municipalities, America has already begun to transition responsibility for security to the Afghan people.”We will have to do the hard work of keeping the gains that we have made, while we drawdown our forces and transition responsibility for security to the Afghan government.”And next May, in Chicago, we will host a summit with our NATO allies and partners to shape the next phase of this transition,” Obama said.- With PTI inputsFor more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.last_img read more

AEK beat Wigry Suwałki in friendly game

November 18, 2019

first_imgSwedish defensive midfielder Jacob Johansson had a post hit with a close-ranged effort at 71′, while Czech international striker Tomas Pekhart missed a penalty kick in the additional time.Source: SDNATweetPinShare0 Shares Thanks to a header by central defender Vasilis Labropoulos at 88′, AEK won 1-0 against Wigry Suwałki in their third pre-season friendly game in Poland.last_img

TFA APPOINTS NEW BOARD MEMBERS

November 7, 2019

first_imgTFA would like to welcome two new members to our board, Peter Rooney and Paul Eggers.To read the profiles of our new and existing board members please click here.last_img

A Buckeye fans dream Michigan USC in trouble

September 28, 2019

Sometimes in life we are faced with difficult choices. I’m talking about the provocative kind of ‘What If?’ questions that your professors pose to you in class on morally ambiguous issues, the things that poke holes in previously held, ironclad ethical beliefs. For those comics buffs out there, think of the ending of Alan Moore’s fantastic graphic novel ‘The Watchmen.’Today’s perplexing problem is this: If you were forced to choose between the University of Southern California and the University of Michigan to be gutted by possible NCAA sanctions, which would you choose?First, some history is in order.Recent thorn in Ohio State’s side, USC, is facing all sorts of potential trouble. The issues started when questions began surfacing about past USC Heisman Trophy-winning running back and future Mr. Kim Kardashian, Reggie Bush. Bush has been accused by two would-be sports marketers of accepting a car, cash and a lavish home for his parents in return for a business partnership once Bush turned pro.According to these two men, when it became clear that Bush had no intentions of following through with his end of the bargain, the businessmen filed a civil suit that brought all the dirty laundry to light.Then there is the case of another USC tailback, Joe McKnight. He was allegedly seen driving an SUV registered to businessman Scott Schenter. According to reports, Schenter owned a company which had registered the domain name 4joemcknight.com.Apparently the USC practice facility parking lot looks an awful lot like the lot outside a typical Jay-Z party—unusual for college kids living on a small stipend.Add to this the already-proven improper benefits accepted by former USC basketball player O.J. Mayo and you have the beginnings of what is known as “a lack of institutional control.” This is often the first note in the death knell of some universities’ athletic programs. At the very least, it can lead to a loss in number of scholarships or the vacating of wins or titles.In the case of Michigan, the infractions appear to be far less serious and yet, could have greater ramifications for OSU’s football program.According to the findings of the NCAA investigation, already-embattled Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez violated NCAA rules by failing to comply with practice time rules. He allegedly allowed members of his staff to improperly conduct and monitor ‘voluntary’ summer workouts.While this may sound trivial to most, in conjunction with his failings on the field, Rodriguez is under heavy fire from not only the NCAA, but his own fan base. This is the first time in the storied history of UM’s football program that there having been allegations of impropriety, and UM’s snooty alumni are all up-in-arms.Apparently the wine-and-cheese crowd at the Big House has short memories and has already forgotten about the basketball banners that were unceremoniously removed from the rafters of their hoops arena following the Fab Five debacle.So there you have it. Who would you rather see laid low by the heavy-hand of the NCAA infractions committee? The Trojans who ruined what could have been a magical season long before the Purdue Boilermakers got their chance to, or archrival Michigan, who Buckeyes bear the deepest of enmity for?It’s like choosing between steak and lobster or paper and plastic: nearly impossible. It’s like choosing between Todd Boeckman and Terrelle Pryor. Okay, maybe that’s a bad example.Part of me would like to pick USC, but I’ve come to realize that most of the reasons I held them in contempt revolved around their jerkishly smug former coach Pete Carroll. But with the grim specter of possible sanctions hovering over his head like the sword of Damocles, he bolted for the rainy gloom of Seattle.The other part, the one that has hues of scarlet and gray, wants to select Michigan. My disgust for the maize and blue has grown since the hiring of Rodriguez, and I’d like nothing more than to see him looking for work. However, that may not serve the long-term interests of Buckeye fans.His grating personality and fish-out-of-water offensive attack may be just the thing to keep us in a position of dominance in the Big Ten for years to come.Faced with a choice like this, I guess I’m gonna have to be a “have your cake and eat it too” kind of guy. I say to hell with ‘em both. read more

September 18, 2019

Giorgio Chiellini Andrea Barzagli renews contracts with Juventus

first_imgTwo Juventus defenders Giorgio Chiellini and Andrea Barzagli of Juventus have renewed deals with the club; a deal which will keep them with Juventus until 2020 and 2019 respectively.Chiellini has played 26 times in the Bianconeri’s  Serie A last season, while Barzagli was featured 25 times as either center-back and right-back.The two defenders will continue their play with the club for another season which could be a major boost for Juventus to concede an average of 0.7 goals-per-game, win 2.3 points-per-match when they link up together, Spotsmole claimsFranck Ribery, FiorentinaFiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.A club statement read:“Side by side they fought, they brought Juventus into #My7H and the historic fourth consecutive Italian cup and now they will continue. Always side by side, to defend the Bianconeri colours with pride, class and passion.“Juventus could not be happier to maintain the services of two men, who for so long have embodies the club’s Fino Alla Fine (to the bitter end) mindset. Here is hoping for further success for both players and the club starting next season.”last_img read more