Tonko picks Dreamers over our war veterans

October 20, 2020

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion What is a good congressman’s job? To do good for the people he represents and the country. In the March 7 Daily Gazette, Rep. Paul Tonko stated that he met with the Dreamers and said they are Americans in every way. He can meet with the Dreamers, but he can’t meet with me, a World War II disabled veteran?For weeks I have been trying. They sent me a form to fill out. I did it. I sent it back on March 20, certified receipt. It cost me $6.70 — still no answer.Paul Tonko says the Dreamers are good Americans. I guess I’m not, according to his standard. Are you too stupid to realize that the Dreamers are taking jobs away from children and grandchildren of veterans of World War II — who fought for this country.Freedom is not free. Paul Tonko, are you a Dreamer?Vincent BelardoAlbanyMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsFeds: Albany man sentenced for role in romance scamEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homeslast_img read more

Afriyie Acquah: I want to play against Cristiano Ronaldo in the World Cup

August 28, 2020

first_imgParma midfielder Afriyie Acquah dreams of playing at the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals and relish a meeting with  the World’s best player ,Cristiano Ronaldo.The 22-year-old is seen as a rising star in Serie A with some sections of the Italian media comparing his unique style of play to Italian legend Andre Pirlo.Acquah, who made his debut for Ghana in an international friendly against Chile on February 2012, is keen on earning a place in the Ghana squad for Brazil later this year.“I dream of playing at the world cup and prospect of playing against Ronaldo” the former Ghana U20 player told BBC“I am playing well and doing my part hopefully it could be enough to earn a spot.“Ronaldo is the world’s best player and his style is quite unique playing against him will be a realization of a dream and hopefully helping Ghana stop him would be special.” Acquah played against Malawi and scored his only goal for Ghana in a 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.last_img read more

Solskjaer counting on Pogba, Rashford for restart

August 13, 2020

first_imgLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Tuesday he is confident of having Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford fit should the Premier League season restart next month.Pogba has missed the majority of the campaign with an ongoing ankle injury, while Rashford seemed set to miss the rest of the season when he suffered a double stress fracture in his back in January.United returned to training in small groups last week and preparations are expected to be ramped up further for a return to action when Premier League clubs vote on resuming contact training on Wednesday.“Hopefully now we’ve proved we can do this safely and we can move to the next step. It’s been really enjoyable being on the training ground again,” said Solskjaer.“They (Pogba and Rashford) are looking good, they’ve joined training now and they’ve done everything the other boys have been doing. No reaction so far, touch wood.“When we get started, it looks like we can have a full squad to choose from.”The return of both players could be a major boost to United’s hopes of ending the season on a high in three competitions. Share on: WhatsApp Solskjaer’s men were three points off the top four in the Premier League when play was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic in March.The Red Devils are also still in the hunt for silverware in the FA Cup and Europa League, which UEFA hopes to complete in August.However, Solskjaer may have to do without on-loan striker Odion Ighalo.The Nigerian was signed from Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua in January, but his short-term deal expires at the end of May.Despite United’s interest in extending Ighalo’s stay, Shanghai are reportedly keen for him to return to China for the start of their season.Ighalo scored four goals in three starts and made eight appearances in total for United.last_img read more

Four Indian cricketers have been touted to be part of Asia XI vs World…

August 5, 2020

first_imgImage Courtesy: PTIAdvertisement fNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsb7x2swWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ecc7fr( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) lt3cyWould you ever consider trying this?😱8kto2yCan your students do this? 🌚bihsRoller skating! Powered by Firework The Asia XI vs ICC World XI T20 series is scheduled in the month of March in Bangladesh, as a celebration of the birth centenary of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the founding father of the country. Recently, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) sent in an official request to BCCI for the participation of Indian cricketers in the exhibition series. Today, the BCCI president Sourav Ganguly has confirmed four prominent names from Team India, and they are Mohammed Shami, Shikhar Dhawan, Kuldeep Yadav and the skipper Virat Kohli.Advertisement Image Courtesy: PTIThe two T20 matches are scheduled on 18th and 21st March, and both are to be played at the Sher-e-Bangla stadium in Dhaka. While India will be facing South Africa for a 3 match ODI series, which will also conclude on 18th March, and just a week after the T20 sweries, the Indian Premier League will kick off. However, sources from IANS have cited that the BCCI prez gave clearance to send the names of the four cricketers to BCB after their availability was confirmed.Among all the speculations that were going on about the Indian players coping up with the hectic schedule, it was also revealed that BCB speficially requested India to send in Kohli for the matches.Advertisement “BCB wants Kohli to play in the matches and it is understandable considering he is the best player in the world. Also, they want all India regulars for the game.” a BCCI official said after Sunday’s Apex Council meeting with BCB.BCB President Nazmul Hassan had said: “We are looking for the best players among the current lot, and because the games will have international status, everyone will be serious about it.”Advertisement While BCB is trying every possible measures to gather up the best cricketing icons around the world, there were doubts on the two Asian heavyweights- India and Pakistan, on being reluctant to see both of their players on the same team.However, an official statement regarding this comes straight from Jayesh George,  BCCI Joint Secretary, who have cleared up on the topic, saying that the PCB isn’t sending any players to be part of the Asia XI squad.“What we are aware of is that there will be no Pakistan players in the Asia XI. That is what the message is, so, there is no question of both countries coming together or picking one over the other,” George told reporters.On the other hand, PCB shed light on the matter, citing the reason to be the Pakistan Super League, which is scheduled to end on 22nd March, denying the current ongoing feud with BCCI as the reason behind the decision.Also read-Read the message Poonam Yadav’s family has for her after her heroics against Australia Advertisementlast_img read more

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Nelson Italian Society Bocce winners

August 3, 2020

first_imgThe winners, in no specific order, include, A Division champs Renato Nicli and Joe Sacino of Cranbrook, A Division second place Joe Guerico and Nic Morano of Trail and Hans Barth and Peppi Bertuzzi of Nelson finishing third.B division champion Sergio Peloso and Guido Babuin of Trail, B Division runner up Nelson’s Cosimo Chirico and Dominic Cerone and Armando Savarin and Terry Tagami of Nelson third Bocce may be a two-man team game, but Sunday at the Lakeside Rotary Park a bigger team got together to compete in the Nelson Italian Society Bocce tournament.Mallard’s Source for sports would like to salute, just not the winners, but all the player who entered the one-day tourney as Team of the Week.last_img read more

Guyana poised for another transformative moment with oil production

January 12, 2020

first_img53rd Independence AnniversaryPresident David Granger emphasised in his Independence Day message that the future belongs to the youths of Guyana. Calling Guyana’s independence transformative, the President noted that May 26, 1966, laid the foundations for a better life.The Head of State said that the immediate post-Independence decade was a period of effective efforts aimed at expanding the country’s infrastructure and improving public services. These nation-building initiatives, he added propelled rapid improvements in the country’s economic, physical and social infrastructure.“The newly-independent State strolled onto the global stage with confidence. It became respected and recognised for its efforts in advancing the cause of the developing countries, particularly of the small African, Caribbean and Pacific states.”According to the President, youths today have a greater say in decision-making than before, with young professionals and entrepreneurs being consulted for the budget formulation. Pointing to the upcoming oil and gas production, President Granger noted that this new revenue is likely to bring more transformation.“The future belongs to young people. This axiom is true today as it was 53 years ago when Guyana attained its Independence. The central aspiration of the independence generation was to secure a better future for their children and grandchildren,” the Head of State said.He pointed out that Guyana, today, is poised for another transformative moment. The commencement of petroleum production, next year, and the transition towards becoming a “green” State will increase economic growth and provide greater resources for development.“The future belongs to young people. The resources derived from economic expansion and diversification will be deployed, primarily, to secure and safeguard our children’s and grandchildren’s future. Young people can be assured of greater opportunities as a result of oil production and the policies of the Guyana Green State Development Strategy.”Young people, he added have started to play a pivotal role in driving development.“… a nation in which young people are united, educated, trained, safe, happy, healthy and integrally involved in the decision-making processes, while enjoying equality of opportunity and equal access to the resources of our country and are politically, economically and socially empowered.”Education, equality, empowerment and employment are the four pillars of our national youth policy.  The good life, regardless of the resources available to us, will be unattainable unless young people have access to better education, enjoy greater equality, are provided with expanded employment opportunities and are empowered to make decisions which determine their future.Education is a bedrock of Government’s youth development policy, he stated, adding that Government’s policy of every child in school aims at ensuring that no one is left behind. Young people are being equipped with the knowledge and skills to become productive citizens.The 53rd Independence Anniversary flag raising ceremony and cultural display is scheduled to include thousands of youths, who will endeavour to keep the crowd entertained. It will be held on the D’Urban Park tarmac today.last_img read more

D-Link/Snapstick Agreement Could Bring Internet TV onto Any TV Screen

December 16, 2019

first_imgTags:#Internet TV#news#web mike melanson Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Related Posts center_img Snapstick, the startup that’s looking to take on the likes of Google and Apple in the Internet TV sphere, is announcing today that it has cleared one of the major hurdles it faced – inking a deal for hardware integration. Snapstick is a software solution that allows users to stream content from any device – iPhone, iPad, netbook or desktop computer – straight to the television screen. That software solution just found a potential hardware home with D-Link, the company behind the hardware for Boxee, another favorite in the Internet TV space.The exciting thing about Snapstick is that it provides a way for users to navigate content how they normally would, whether on their phone, tablet, netbook or desktop, and then view it on the big screen. The solution also used what it calls “SplitMedia” technology: Snapstick’s SplitMedia technology allows consumers to discover, view and control content using the same easy-to-use interfaces they already employ to control their mobile devices and computers. Simply browse the web on a mobile device or laptop and snap the content to the TV with a flick of the wrist. Hardware at the TV then takes over the processing burden via Wi-Fi. Once the content appears on the TV, you can use the mobile device or laptop as a visual remote to control the content, or, use it for any other task, thus removing the need for cumbersome keyboards and complicated remote controls in the living room. Right now, the two companies are simply “in talks” and describes this as a “trial”. A company like D-Link, which already has its hands in both the Internet TV and networking hardware realms, seems like a perfect match for Snapstick. The step is an important one, as we noted in our preview of CES 2011 yesterday, in the battle for our online viewership. Now that Snapstick has a potential hardware partner, how do you see Internet TV shaping up in 2011? Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

If They Want to Change, They Will Pay More

December 9, 2019

first_imgThe reason Apple was able to take on the PC was that Apple made beautiful products that were not plagued with the challenges of the PC—and at a higher price point. At the time Apple executed this strategy, you could buy a PC or a laptop for a few hundred bucks, and Apple offered you a MacBook Pro at something close to the highest price available.Apple did not go the market with the pitch, “We are just like a PC but cheaper.” They went to the market with, “We are different, and we are better, and people are switching.” Then they ambushed unsuspecting shoppers by popping up retail stores that drew people in to look at their products, products that looked much better designed than PCs, even if those old Apple designs can’t match Apple now.It’s important to understand the elasticity of price and general strategy. Pitching that you are just like your competitor but cheaper is an admission that you are investing even less in what you provide than their current provider, that you are making even greater concessions. This is why “Me too, but for a few bucks less” only attracts the population of clients or customers who mistake price for value.Another segment of the market, a larger segment in many markets, isn’t interested in maintaining the status quo and all the challenges they are experiencing. These clients and customers will pay more to eliminate those challenges and produce better results. It can be difficult to believe, but it is true that people who are willing to change for better results are also willing to pay a little more to obtain them.If you have a compelling, differentiated offering that happens to have a higher price than your competitors and alternatives, you should embrace the advantage this provides you as a salesperson. Instead of avoiding the investment conversation and withholding your price as long as possible, you are better off leading with it, promising what you provide is better than what they are experiencing now—and worth the greater financial investment. Essential Reading! Get my first book: The Only Sale Guide You’ll Ever Need “The USA Today bestseller by the star sales speaker and author of The Sales Blog that reveals how all salespeople can attain huge sales success through strategies backed by extensive research and experience.” Buy Nowlast_img read more

Rockets donate $4 million to help storm victims

November 30, 2019

first_imgView comments Recently acquired Rockets point guard Chris Paul donated $50,000 to a fund created by Houston Texans star J.J. Watt, the defensive end posted on Twitter on Monday.Current and former Rockets players James Harden, Eric Gordon, Patrick Beverley and Paul all took to social media to send thoughts and prayers to the people of Houston.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe storm, now classified as a Tropical Storm, has hammered the Houston area with flooding as a result of massive rainfall totals. SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief People walk through the flooded waters of Telephone Rd. in Houston on August 27, 2017 as the US fourth city city battles with tropical storm Harvey and resulting floods. AFPHouston, United States — The Houston Rockets have donated $4 million to help the victims of Tropical Storm Harvey which has caused devastating flooding in the city, the NBA team announced on Monday.“Our hearts are heavy seeing the devastation that so many of our friends, family and neighbors are experiencing,” the Rockets said in a statement. “Please stay safe, Houston.”ADVERTISEMENT ‘Quiel’ now a severe tropical storm – Pagasa PLAY LIST 04:04‘Quiel’ now a severe tropical storm – Pagasa05:08DOST-Pagasa 11 A.M. weather update, November 22, 201900:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Almost 3M netizens illegally streamed Mayweather vs. McGregor fight—report UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa LATEST STORIES Read Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesseslast_img read more