Legal action will be taken against owners of institutional buildings if proper

first_imgKolkata: The state Fire and Emergency Services department will issue notices to the owners of institutional buildings, if it is found that the firefighting systems in their establishments are not working properly.Subsequently, legal action will be taken against them, said Sujit Basu, minister of state for Fire and Emergency Services department on Monday. Basu, along with senior officials of the department, visited several shopping malls in the city. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe decision has been taken following a major fire that had broken out in a shopping complex in South Kolkata recently. Basu said fire audit in 100 institutional buildings will be held every month. Basu, along with senior officials of the department, visited a shopping complex at Kankurgachi and examined the firefighting system. He was annoyed when he saw that smoke alarms installed at the shopping complex did not work. He said the Fire department officials will make surprises checks and examine the condition of the fire extinguishers, sprinklers and anti-smoke devices. They will examine whether the fire exits are maintained properly or not. “Fire safety drills should be conducted regularly in institutional buildings periodically,” he said. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseIf not satisfied with the firefighting arrangements, the Fire and Emergency Services department will issue notices and subsequently take legal action. Incidents of fire in shopping malls and markets have become quite common in Kolkata. In 2018, fire broke out at Bagri Market, in which medicines and garments worth several crores of rupees were destroyed. In March 2010, a devastating fire broke out at Stephen Court, killing more than 40 people. Senior officials of the department said surprise checks will be carried out in KMC-run markets as well. In most of these markets, the condition of electrical wiring is in bad shape. It may be recalled that in the early 1980s, a devastating fire had broken out at Hogg Market. The New Market of today has come up on the burnt portion of the old Hogg Market. A fire in the shop of Bourne and Shepherd on S N Banerjee Road had destroyed the negatives of many priceless photographs.last_img