Couple charged for assaulting each other

January 12, 2020

first_imgCommon-law couple Orwin DeCinto and Carlotta Rice were earlier this week arraigned before Georgetown Magistrate Leron Daly charged with assaulting each other; and they each denied the charge when it was read to them.The court heard that on August 5, 2018, while at their Albouystown residence, they assaulted each other with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.According to the prosecution’s facts, on the day in question, at about 19:00h, DeCinto was conversing with a friend when he became embroiled in an argument with Rice over an issue that occurred earlier that day. In the course of the argument, Rice allegedly became annoyed and tore down DeCinto’s shirt before attacking him with an object, causing him to receive injuries to his right wrist. They each eventually ended up assaulting the other so as to cause grievous bodily harm. The Police prosecutor did not object to either defendant being placed on bail, thus Magistrate Daly placed DeCinto on $10,000 bail and Rice on $40,000 bail.The matter will be tried in September.last_img read more

Granger assures commitment to coalition Govt

January 12, 2020

first_imgPNC General Council Meeting… as senior public servants express displeasure at being requested to attendThe People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) on Saturday held its first General Council Meeting for the year 2017 at the Party’s Headquarters, Congress Place,From left: Members of the head table, Ronald Bulkan; Dr George Norton; Volda Lawrence; Amna Ally; party leader, President David Granger and General Secretary Oscar ClarkeSophia. Notably however, this newspaper understands that the event themed “PNCR – Vanguard of a Green Economy,” was reminiscent to the 1970’s as senior public servants were insisted upon to attend the event. According an upset senior Government official, the event was déjà vu to the Forbs Burnham era where public servants, despite displeasure, were forced to attend the PNC’s general council meetings.Meanwhile, at the event at President David Granger, assured the Council the PNC is committed to the coalition Government.“The PNCR is committed to coalition politics; we are better to together.”Focusing attention on the family, the President said that that society was founded on the family, that the family was sacrosanct and urged Party members to protect and preserve the family.He noted also that regions must focus on education and it was imperative that employment be found for the young people of Guyana. “Despite the challenges, we have to find employment for the young people of Guyana. We have to develop the village economies; we have to start producing things at the village level.” The Leader asked village leaders to take rebuilding the village economy seriously and pledged government support for such initiatives.The PNCR Leader speaking to the Diaspora, he said that “the Diaspora is vital to the PNC; it is a vital component. I trust the Diaspora and I believe in the Diaspora.”Following the formal opening, plenary sessions examined the Party Leader’s address, the General Secretary’s Report and plans for the Party’s 60th anniversary. A Motion giving full support to the Government in the action that was taken to retake the Red House, a National Heritage building was presented to General Council by the Vice Chairperson of the National Congress of Women, (NCW), Carol Smith-Joseph.General Council is the second highest decision making forum of the PNCR.last_img read more

South African citizens get free access to national parks

December 18, 2019

first_img15 September 2015This week, all South Africans with a valid identification document can enjoy free access to most of the country’s national parks during the 10th annual South African National Parks (SANParks) Week. The week runs from 14 to 20 September.This initiative, a partnership between First National Bank and Total South Africa, was opened by Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa, with the theme “Know Your National Parks”. It was launched at Marakele National Park in Limpopo.National Parks Week was set up following the realisation that the majority of South Africa’s citizens were not visiting the country’s wildlife reserves, according to Fundisile Mketeni, the chief executive officer of SANParks. The reason for the week, Mketeni said, was to cultivate a culture of pride in all South Africans.“SANParks started this campaign to encourage all South Africans, especially those from the communities around the parks, to share in what SANParks envisions to be ‘the pride and joy of all South Africans and the world,’” he said.Source: SANparkslast_img read more

Any plan for a U-turn, Tejashwi Yadav asks Nitish Kumar

December 3, 2019

first_imgAfter the setback to the BJP in the Assembly elections in five States, Leader of the Opposition in the Bihar Assembly and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav on Wednesday mocked Chief Minister Nitish Kumar wondering whether he was “contemplating another U-turn”. “Just after switching sides to the NDA, Nitish Kumar had said nobody has the potential to challenge Modi…with all humility, I want to ask Nitish Kumar…what is your take on this [the statement] now? Are you contemplating a U-turn again after talking to your conscience? Aren’t you Chacha-ji [uncle]?”, tweeted Mr. Yadav. Mr. Kumar dumped the RJD and the Congress to rejoin the BJP-led NDA in July 2017. It is now likely that the JD(U) would mount pressure on the BJP to declare Mr. Kumar as the leader of the NDA in Bihar. Earlier, BJP chief Amit Shah had announced that both parties would contest an equal number of the 40 Lok Sabha seats in the State. Upset with the announcement, Upendra Kushwaha-led Rashtriya Lok Samata Party quit the alliance recently.last_img read more

Varsha Bhosle suicide case: Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle to be questioned

November 28, 2019

first_imgEven as the last rites of Varsha Bhosle, daughter of playback singer Asha Bhosle, were performed on Tuesday, police remained clueless about the reasons behind her suicide.Police officers investigating the case said they would record statements of Asha, who might be able to reveal the reason behind her 56-year-old daughter’s suicide.A police official said they had recorded statements of Asha’s sister Usha Mangeshkar, maid Dipali Mane and driver Vijay. “Close family members have not been questioned yet since they are still in a state of shock,” the police official said.The officer said police would soon record the statements of Asha, her elder sister and legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar and Varsha’s former husband Hemant Kenkre. Police officials, however, said the Belgian pistol, with which Varsha allegedly killed herself, was registered in the name of Anand, Asha’s youngest son and it was kept safely in the house.On Monday, Varsha was found dead with two bullet injuries in her head. She was the second of the three children of Asha and Ganpatrao Bhosle and stayed mostly with her mother in the posh Prabhu Kunj building at Pedder Road in Mumbai.Police suspect that she committed suicide Sunday night, but also said that the neighbours did not hear any gunshot. Varsha’s viscera sample has been sent for test. Police sources said the woman’s post-mortem report confirmed she died of haemorrhagic shock due to bullet injuries.Three loaded cartridges were found in the pistol. Varsha, who used to work as a freelance journalist, was divorced from sports journalist Hemant Kenkre. She had also sung songs for some Hindi and Marathi films and performed in some concerts with her mother.She was depressed for many years and had tried to commit suicide in 2008 and 2010 by consuming sleeping pills. advertisementlast_img read more

Jindal JSW Essar Korba West to soon supply 1000 MW at 441unit

October 18, 2019

first_imgNew Delhi: Four power producers, including Jindal Power and JSW Energy, are set to supply 1,000 MW power collectively to three south Indian states at a tariff of Rs 4.41 per unit for short-term under a pilot scheme to bring back stressed power assets on stream. Under Pilot Scheme-II of Ministry of Power, Jindal Power would supply 315 MW, followed by Korba West Power Company (295 MW), JSW Energy (290 MW), Essar Power M P Ltd (100 MW). NHPC was appointed an aggregator by PFC Consultancy through e-tendering for Pilot Scheme-II. “NHPC has got confirmation from three south Indian states for signing short-term (for 3 years) power purchase agreements (PPAs) for supply of 1,000 MW. Therefore, the letters of award have been issued to four companies — Jindal Power, Korba West Power Company, JSW Energy and Essar Power M P Ltd — for supply of 1,000 MW collectively,” a source said. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalThe PPAs for supply of 1,000 MW to three states are expected to be signed in a month, the source said. State-owned hydro power giant NHPC is the aggregator for tying up 2,500 MW power under the scheme. “NHPC is in advance stages of negotiations with other states in the country for tying up for remaining 1,500 MW of power through coal-fired power plants. The PPA could be inked in a month after states’ confirmation,” the source said. The objective of the scheme is to facilitate procurement of power for three years from coal-based power plants that are already commissioned, but do not have PPAs. Since a PPA is a prerequisite for getting coal linkage, these plants are under stress. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boostEarlier this year, NHPC had discovered a tariff of Rs 4.41 per unit in a reverse auction under the scheme. Under the auction, Jindal Power was allowed the highest supply of 315 MW, followed by Korba West Power Company (295 MW), JSW Energy (290 MW), Essar Power M P Ltd (200 MW), Jindal Power (200 MW), DB Power (165 MW) and MB Power Madhya Pradesh (125 MW). RKM Powergen got 165 MW, followed by Sembcorp Gayatri Power (150 MW), Jindal India Thermal Power (115 MW), Jaypee Bina (100 MW), Jaypee Nigrie Super (100 MW), TRN Energy (100 MW), SKS Power Generation Chhattisgarh (100 MW), and Shree Cement (80 MW). In October 2018, PTC India, as an aggregator, had finalised supply of 1,900 MW capacity under the first such scheme at a tariff of Rs 4.24 per unit and PPAs were signed on October 29, 2019. RKM Powergen (550 MW), Jhabua Power Ltd (100 MW), MB Power Ltd (175 MW), SKS Power (300 MW), Jindal India Thermal Power Ltd (125 MW), IL&FS Energy (550 MW) and JP Nigrie (100 MW) were the successful bidders under Scheme-I. The procuring discoms under Scheme-I were of Telangana and Tamil Nadu for 550 MW each, West Bengal and Bihar for 200 MW each, while Haryana had consented to sign for 400 MW.last_img read more

Top Notch Oilfield Contracting Presents George Canyon in Fort St John

October 13, 2019

first_imgTORONTO, ON – Canadian country legend and multiple JUNO Award winner George Canyon announced today he will be embarking on a national Canadian tour with hit-makers Doc Walker and Charlie Major. The ‘Hit After Hit’ tour will begin April 18th in Camrose, AB, and wrap in Barrie, ON on May 25th, making stops in more than 30 towns and cities along the way.Tickets will be available for purchase on Friday, March 8 at 10 a.m. MST. Tickets are priced at $55.00, and $60.00 plus applicable fees.  There will be a special listener pre-sale on Thursday, March 7.  Sign up for the newsletter at www.energetictickets.ca to receive the pre-sale access code. Tickets may be purchased online at www.energetictickets.ca, by phoning the Lido at (250) 785-3011, and in person at Systems Sound Source Ticket Outlet on 100 ST.Hot off the heels of his 2018 release ‘Southside of Heaven’, George’s new single ‘Out Of This Town’ from his forthcoming EP produced by Scott Cooke, was released to all digital platforms on February 22nd and hits radio airwaves March 8th. Canyon rose to become one of Canada’s hottest Country Music stars in the early 2000’s and has won countless accolades and awards, including Juno Awards, CCMA Awards, and ECMA Awards to name a few. He has been inducted into the Nova Scotia Country Music Hall of Fame, recorded 12 albums, and was recently presented a certified Platinum Award for his debut album ‘One Good Friend’. With country hits like Just Like You, I Believe in Angels, Drinkin’ Thinkin’, Daughters of the Sun, I Got This, I Want You To Live, Slow Dance and many more, he is also a highly regarded humanitarian, strong supporter of the military, and, most important, a proud father and devoted husband.With over 20 Top 10 singles, Doc Walker is one of the most recognized Canadian country acts of the past two decades. The group has received multiple Canadian Country Music Awards, including Fans’ Choice, Group or Duo of the Year, CMT Video of the Year, Single of the Year, and Country Music Program or Special of the Year. In addition, Doc Walker has been nominated for several JUNO Awards for Country Album of the Year, including a win in 2009 for the album Beautiful Life.Charlie Major is a true Canadian legend. He has sold nearly half a million records in Canada alone and has been the recipient of 3 Juno Awards and 7 CCMA Awards. Rising to the forefront of the Canadian Music scene in the early to mid-nineties, Major holds the distinction of having six consecutive #1 hits (every single released) off his debut album prior to the inception of BDS.Canada’s Manny Blu made his debut with the release of his first single “X on my Heart” earlier this year. Currently preparing to release his premiere EP Leave It Like It Is in summer 2019, Manny is eagerly awaiting the chance to share his new music with the world.last_img read more

Chicken Fried Steak

October 12, 2019

first_imgIngredients Chicken Cube Steaks 4 (1/2 pound) All-purpose Flour 2 cups Baking Powder 2 tsp Baking Soda 1 tsp Black Pepper 1 tsp Salt 3/4 tsp Buttermilk 1.5 cups Egg 1 Hot Pepper Sauce 1 tbsp Garlic (minced) 2 cloves Also Read – PUMPKIN MASH, TAMATAR RASSAVegetable Shortening 3 cups Milk 4 cups Kosher Salt to taste Ground Black Pepper to tastePreparation Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl. Stir together baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg, Tabasco sauce and garlic. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter and again in the flour. Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour. Also Read – DATES AND MILK CRUMBLEHeat the shortening in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325°F (165°C). Fry the steaks until they turn golden-brown. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain. Drain the fat from the skillet, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid and as much of the solid remnants as possible. Return the skillet to medium-low heat with the reserved oil. Whisk the remaining flour into the oil. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to release solids into the gravy. Stir in the milk, raise the heat to medium and bring the gravy to a simmer, cook until thick for 6 to 7 minutes. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Spoon the gravy over the steaks to serve. (Courtesy: www.allrecipes.com)last_img read more

September 18, 2019

Sporting boss praises Oblak

first_imgSporting Lisbon manager Jorge Jesus has hailed Atletico Madrid’s Jan Oblak as one of the greatest goalkeepers in the world, ahead of their second leg in the Europa LeagueThe Slovenia international arrived at Portuguese side Benfica in the summer of 2010 at the tender age of 17 years old and, after four loan spells away from the club, Oblak became the first choice goalkeeper under Jesus himself after displacing regular number one Artur in the 2013/14 season.Gerard Pique, Neymar, BarcelonaLa Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…After keeping several clean sheets in his opening matches, Oblak was later named the Primeira Liga’s goalkeeper of the year and later sealed a €16m transfer to Atletico and has established himself at La Liga as one of the very best.“Oblak arrived at Portuguese football very young. He was 17 years old. He was at two clubs before he had the opportunity at Benfica. He worked [hard] during that time, I have no doubt that alongside Rui Patricio and some others he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. The Atletico supporters should be delighted to have him and his work.” said Jesus, according to Mundo Deportivo.last_img read more

September 18, 2019

Leonardo Bonucci could leave AC Milan admits Gattuso

first_imgAC Milan manager Gennaro Gattuso has admitted that defender Leonardo Bonucci may actually be leaving the club this summerThe Milan captain had only arrived at the San Siro last summer from Juventus, but he has recently become concerned over the quality of the team and the ongoing financial uncertainty with the club having recently been taken over by American hedge fund Elliott Management after owner Li Yonghong’s failure to repay his debts.And Bonucci is now seriously contemplating his future at Milan with Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain among the clubs interested in signing the 31-year-old this summer.“I’ve spoken to Leo [Bonucci] and you need to be honest and say things as they are,” said Gattuso as stated on the Daily Mirror.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…“Leo had a meeting with me, but I am not the club and he needs to talk to the directors.“It will be up to Leo and the club to decide, but I hope that Bonucci can stay here. I think that when a player expresses a desire, the coach must do all he can to convince him to stay.”Bonucci made a total of 51 appearances for Milan in all competitions last season.last_img read more