More doubles history for Cabal, Farah with US Open win

September 22, 2020

first_imgRelatedPosts Records on line as Woods, Rose target US Open Tearful Osaka outclasses Kvitova to win Australian Open Serena ‘out of line’ but both sides share blame – King Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah became the first Colombians to win the U.S. Open men’s doubles title on Friday, easing past Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos 6-4 7-5 to underscore their status as tennis’s dominant partnership. Just weeks after becoming the first Colombians to win a Grand Slam doubles title with an epic five-set victory at Wimbledon, Cabal and Farah were celebrating again after handing the Spanish/Argentine duo their first ever defeat. “Unreal. It’s amazing. What a journey,” said Cabal. “If you tell us three months ago that this is going to happen, I probably will not believe you. “But that’s the way, this life that we are pretty blessed. “We just put in the work. Every day we just believe in work, push every day to be better.” Cabal and Farah needed nearly five hours to see off France’s Nicolas Mahut and Edouard Roger-Vasselin in the Wimbledon final but made quick work of Granollers and Zeballos, taking just 91 minutes under the closed roof of Arthur Ashe Stadium to get their hands on the trophy. “The way Colombia received us when we came back from Wimbledon was really breathtaking, and I don’t even want to think about how crazy it is going be now that we come back from the U.S. Open,” said Farah. “I think that back-to-back is quite an achievement. “We are very happy to represent our country the way that we are doing it.” Playing in their 400th match together, the top-ranked Colombians had a huge edge in experience over Granollers and Zeballos, who were teaming up for just their second event. Down 5-3 in the second set with Granollers and Zeballos serving to level the match the Colombians broke back, sweeping four straight games to clinch the title and become just the sixth pairing to complete the Wimbledon/US Open double. Reuters/NAN.Tags: Juan Sebastian CabalMarcel GranollersRObert FrahU.S. Openlast_img read more

FIFA’s Infantino proposed as IOC member

September 22, 2020

first_imgRelatedPosts No directive to constitute disciplinary committee against us — Ojudu, others ‘Army Officer’ in EFCC net for alleged multiple fraud COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FIFA president Gianni Infantino has been proposed for International Olympic Committee membership, but World Athletics head Sebastian Coe will have to wait due to a conflict of interest, IOC President Thomas Bach said.FIFA and World Athletics, the governing bodies of two of the biggest sports in the Olympics, have been without membership ever since the departure from the IOC of their respective former presidents Sepp Blatter and Lamine Diack in 2015.For years, membership of the IOC for the heads of soccer and athletics was seen as almost automatic.Yet the two international federations have been left out in the cold as they struggled with widespread corruption and doping scandals which tarnished their images.Diack, who has denied wrongdoing, faces a corruption trial in France in January.Bach said Infantino had been proposed for election at their next session in January along with International Tennis Federation chief David Haggerty and Japanese Olympic Committee president Yasuhiro Yamashita.World Athletics chief Coe, however, had not been proposed due to a conflict of interest.“We wanted him (Coe) to become an IOC member as president of one of our most important Olympic sports,” Bach said. “Since then we are in close consultation with him and since then we have addressed the risk of a potential of conflict of interest he may have.”Apart for his role at World Athletics, Coe is also Group Chairman of consultancy firm CSM which also works with the IOC.“CSM is consulting various organisations and stakeholders including having contractual partnerships with the IOC itself.”Bach said Coe had informed them that he could not immediately resolve this situation but was working on it.Bach added Coe could become a member at their session during the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. “He is hopeful to address it in a couple of months. Then that would mean the door is still open for Tokyo.”The IOC elects new members at its sessions once candidates are vetted by the Olympic body.last_img read more

Wanyama leaves Tottenham for Montreal Impact

September 22, 2020

first_imgRelatedPosts Liverpool sign Portugal winger Jota from Wolves EPL: Liverpool open title defence against underdogs Matuidi quits Juventus Victor Wanyama’s Tottenham career has come to an end, with the midfielder opting to join Thierry Henry at Montreal Impact. The 28-year-old came close to leaving during the summer transfer window and again in January, having struggled to regain his place in the starting line-up after a string of injury troubles. Wanyama has now called time on his spell in north London, just shy of four years after arriving from Southampton, with a move to Major League Soccer. Tottenham wrote on Twitter: “We have reached agreement with Montreal Impact for the transfer of VictorWanyama. “We wish Victor all the best for the future.” The club added a video of some of Wanyama’s most memorable goals for the club, including his memorable pile driver in a 2-2 draw at Liverpool in 2018. The accompanying message read: “From the goal in our last game at White Hart Lane to THAT strike at Anfield, thank you for providing us with some incredible memories Victor Wanyama.”— Tags: AnfieldMajor League SoccerMontreal ImpactVictor Wanyamalast_img read more

Osimhen rules out Napoli move

September 22, 2020

first_imgRelatedPosts Napoli Coach: Osimhen young lad with old brain Live stream Premier League, La Liga, Serie A on Showmax Pro this weekend Juve’s Pirlo gamble makes new Serie A season the most open for years Nigerian international, Victor Osimhen, has reportedly rejected a transfer move to Serie A club side Napoli.The Italian club joined AC Milan, Inter Milan and Liverpool in battle for his signature but the player is not keen about the move to Italy according to a competent source. “Napoli have slight edge over other clubs to land Victor (Osimhen) because the owner of Lille and the Italian club are best of friends and that could make the transfer deal move sail through in good time. Osimhen however has told the club management about his desire to remain in France for another season,” our source disclosed.Speaking further, the source, who craved anonymity, added that the player has also been advised to avoid joining top European clubs were he would be confined to the bench.“Some Nigeria Football Federation bigwigs have advised him to ensure he remain in France in order it have playing time.”Napoli reportedly submitted €60 million bid for the player as they may have to replace a striker this summer.Osimhen replaced Nicolas Pepé who scored 22 goals in the last Ligue 1 before moving to Arsenal this season. The report also claimed Milan and Inter are closely monitoring Osimhen’s situation in France.Tags: AC MilanNapoliSerie AVictor Osimhenlast_img read more

Chelsea seal Timo Werner deal

September 22, 2020

first_imgRelatedPosts Fulham keen on Lookman loan deal Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Chelsea have confirmed the signing of Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, subject to the forward completing a medical.The 24-year-old will join the Stamford Bridge club in July after they met the German’s release clause, reported to be around £53 million. Werner, who scored his 32nd goal of the season for Leipzig on Wednesday night, will stay in Germany until the end of the Bundesliga season.Werner, who was reportedly attracting interest from Liverpool, said on Chelsea’s official website: “I am delighted to be signing for Chelsea, it is a very proud moment for me to be joining this great club.“I of course want to thank RB Leipzig, the club and the fans, for four fantastic years. You will forever be in my heart.“I look forward to next season with my new team-mates, my new manager and of course the Chelsea fans. Together we have a very successful future ahead of us.”Blues Director Marina Granovskaia added: “We are very excited that Timo Werner has chosen to join Chelsea. He is a player who was coveted all over Europe and it is no surprise, he has that rare mix of being young and exciting and yet established and proven. “We can’t wait to have Timo on board, but until then we wish him and RB Leipzig all the best for the rest of this season.”Tags: ChelseaPlayer SigningRB LeipzigTimo Wernerlast_img read more

England withdraw Maguire from squad for Nations League

September 22, 2020

first_imgRelatedPosts Solskjaer criticises England over handling of youngster Greenwood Denmark hold England to draw Batshuayi double helps Belgium to massive win over Iceland England manager Gareth Southgate has dropped Manchester United defender Harry Maguire from his UEFA Nations League squad, the Football Association said on Tuesday.The decision comes after Maguire was handed a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days by a Greek court on Tuesday. The sentence came after he was found guilty of multiple charges, following a brawl on the island of Mykonos last week.England face Iceland on September 5 in Reykjavik before taking on Denmark in Copenhagen on September 8.Reuters/NAN.Tags: EnglandGreek courtHarry MaguireUEFA Nations Leaguelast_img read more

Ronaldo’s an example to Bale – AVB

September 21, 2020

first_img Press Association He added: “It’s funny to see how both players compare. They grew up as strikers, but became wingers. Gareth was a left-back and moved to winger and now going to a more advanced role. Ronaldo is also able to play that role up front. “Ronaldo is now 28, and has achieved so much in his career, he is an example to Gareth as to what he can achieve.” Bale has excelled down the middle in Tottenham’s last two games, scoring decisive goals against West Brom and Norwich, so Villas-Boas appears set on playing his star man up front for the time being. “Gareth is such a phenomenal player that he is able to do that kind of role,” Villas-Boas said. “He has been scoring a crazy amount of goals coming in from the right wing or through the middle, rather than from the left or assisting from the left. So it means a player can explore his full potential through the middle. “The most important thing is to get the players feeling well about what they do for the team. And I think Gareth feels well in that position. If he’s able to fulfil his full potential it’s something we have to consider for the future. “We know that he has grown out on the left. On the left he becomes a different type of player. I’m not sure if it limits his full potential.” Bale is enjoying his best season of a short, yet dazzling career and the 23-year-old has become one of the most devastating wingers in European football. Now Bale’s career appears to be heading in a different direction. Villas-Boas has recently deployed the Welshman in a more central role, either as a number 10 in the hole or as an out-and-out striker. One of Bale’s idols, Ronaldo, spent the early stages of his career on the flank at Manchester United but now operates as a deadly centre-forward for Real Madrid, and Villas-Boas said: “You can see similarities in each of the players. Both of them are extremely technical players, and extremely powerful and pacy.” center_img Andre Villas-Boas believes Gareth Bale can become Tottenham’s version of Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo.last_img read more

Dubs maintain winning start

September 21, 2020

first_imgDublin made it three wins from three outings with a 2-14 to 0-16 defeat of Mayo at Croke Park. Bernard Brogan inspired the Dubs with a breathtaking attacking display which saw him hit a 1-10 tally. He grabbed a 32nd-minute goal to help Jim Gavin’s men to a 1-8 to 0-8 interval lead, but Jason Doherty and Lee Keegan helped drag Mayo back into contention. Press Associationcenter_img Mayo goalkeeper Kenneth O’Malley saved a penalty from his opposite number Stephen Cluxton, and it looked as if the westerners could claim a significant victory, until substitute Kevin McManamon drilled home Dublin’s second goal. The Metropolitan’s evening was soured by the straight red card dismissal of Ger Brennan in the second half, however. In Division Two, Laois and Louth finished level on 1-17 to 2-14 at Portlaoise. John O’Loughlin gave Laois the edge with a goal, but goals from Andy McDonnell and Kevin Rogers gave the Wee County a point. Jamie Clarke made his first apperance of the season for Armagh and inspired his side to a 3-8 to 1-9 win over Longford. Clarke scored a goal and set up two more for Stefan Forker and Tony Kernan at the Athletic Grounds, where Francis McGee scored both Longford’s goals. last_img read more

McFadden welcomes Ireland changes

September 21, 2020

first_img Press Association A side that for so many years picked itself has experienced unprecedented upheaval, starting last autumn and escalating throughout the RBS 6 Nations, with the glut of injuries forcing much of the transformation. McFadden, who has replaced groin-injury victim Craig Gilroy on the right wing for Saturday’s match against France, is among those hoping to make his mark in the new era, and he said: “Over the last four or five years there has been bit of a clean out due to players retiring through injury or some guys not playing to the same level that they were for years.” Fergus McFadden insists the rapid speed of change in the Ireland squad should be welcomed as the natural evolution of a team.center_img He went on: “That’s just the nature of it and it’s a good thing that there is now a young spine to the team that can kick on. “The Scotland game was disappointing, but had our passes gone to hand we could have beaten them pretty comfortably. “Our championship has had its ups and downs. The way that the Six Nations has panned out over the last few years, teams have been getting stronger and stronger. “Italy beating France in the first game summed up how far they’ve come and showed there are no easy games. “Injuries happen so you just have to get on with it, but thankfully we have strength in depth in Irish rugby at the moment.” McFadden has been forced to wait patiently to win his 17th cap and is eager to prove to head coach Declan Kidney that he has been under used since making his debut two years ago. “It’s a long championship and I knew that I just needed to bide my time,” said McFadden, who won his last cap against Argentina in the autumn. “Now my chance has come in a big game and I need to show that maybe I should have been there from the start.” last_img read more

Rooney sends United 15 points clear

September 21, 2020

first_img Rooney’s deflected first-half effort saw off a dogged Reading outfit, who worked hard but lacked the class to fashion an equaliser. The Royals now look certainties for relegation, sliding seven points adrift of safety with one game fewer than United to save themselves, while 13 points will do it for Sir Alex Ferguson’s men to clinch a record 20th championship. The impressive Rio Ferdinand created United’s first chance with an elegant crossfield pass to Ashley Young, which the winger controlled before drilling a cross-shot just beyond Robin van Persie and the far post. Ferdinand’s next incursion was the crucial one. Nipping in to intercept Garath McCleary’s poor pass, Ferdinand advanced into the open space and nipped round Mikele Leigertwood before feeding Rooney just to his left. The striker took aim and once his shot flicked off Alex Pearce, former Manchester City goalkeeper Stuart Taylor had no chance of keeping it out. Either side of Rooney’s goal, Danny Welbeck went close on a couple of occasions and Van Persie missed from 20 yards. Only once did the visitors truly threaten before the break, when Hal Robson-Kanu let fly with a shot David de Gea would not have reached if it had been on target. They should have had a chance to equalise immediately after it though when Nemanja Vidic shoved Adrian Mariappa over inside the box. Reading appealed for what TV replays showed to be a clear foul but referee Lee Mason was unmoved. United failed to profit from their good fortune, with Welbeck and Young going close either side of a wild effort from Van Persie that flew out from a throw-in. Taylor also repelled a well-struck free-kick to keep the former Arsenal man out. A Reading equaliser did not come, though. Wayne Rooney’s 16th goal of the season was enough to propel Manchester United 15 points clear with just nine games remaining in the Barclays Premier League title race following a 1-0 victory over Reading.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more